MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20
MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 is a Fume and Spray Suppressant and is highly effective, liquid wetting agent for all heavy deposition chromium plating baths and chrome stripping solutions. It provides an excellent balance, between a surface foam film around the anode and cathode and surface tension reduction. It is designed to greatly reduce misting and drag-out.
- MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 provides a low, fast breaking foam with superior surface tension and interfacial tension reduction.
- MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 lowers the surface tension to less than 25 dynes/cm. thus substantially lowering drag-out losses as well as reducing the size of escaping bubbles.
MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 in chromium plating baths offers these significant advantages:
- More pleasant and healthful working conditions in the plating room as a result of the elimination of irritating chromic acid fumes, which may result from inadequate blower capacity.
- Decreased heating costs due to reduced ventilation requirements over the chromium tank.
- Lower chromium replenishment costs resulting from reduced drag-out and spray-loss of plating solution.
- Less danger of contamination of adjacent plating solutions by chromic acid mist.
- Increased life of ventilation and other plating room equipment.
This surfactant agent reduces surface tension of a liquid and reduces bubble size. Smaller bubbles burst with less impact on a surface with a reduction in emissions.
MAKE-UP AND MAINTENANCE
MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 is available as a liquid and is packaged in 20 litre pails. The amount of MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 compound recommended to achieve effective fume suppression and surface tension reduction is 2 litres per 1000 litres of plating solution, depending on the requirements of the particular installation. This amount will produce an effective reduced surface tension down to less than 45 dynes/cm.
The effectiveness of MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 is continued by maintenance additions of this compound. The need for maintenance additions should be determined by surface tension analysis.
The stalagmometer method is suggested. The complete procedure is described at the end of this data sheet. A more accurate method for surface tension analysis can be accomplished by the use of a Tensionometer.
Plant experience will determine the proper amount of MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 required to maintain an operating solution since it is dependent upon the amount of work processed.
However, several general rules can be suggested:
- When visual observation is used to determine the need for addition, about 1 litres of MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 may be added at one time per 1,000 litres of solution.
- When the surface tension method is used, the general rule is that 1.3 litres of MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 per 1,000 litres will reduce the surface tension 10 dyne/cm. For satisfactory operation, the surface tension should be between 30 - 25 dynes/cm.
USE OF MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20
Please note that the information above for this chemical is partial. Click the button below to request full technical information sheet.
- MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 greatly reduces drag-out of plating solution and may require an adjustment in schedules for addition of bath replenishment materials.
- Heating requirements of the tank may require minor adjustments, because of the low foam film, due to the reduced heat loss from reduced ventilation as well as decreased evaporation.
- MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 is permanently stable in all chromium plating solution and is removed only by drag-out (especially drag-out of foam). The use of air agitation or an air wand at the exit of automatics will sweep foam away from the racks as they leave the tank and substantially reduce the drag-out.
- The use of an excess of MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 will not result in better performance and is wasteful, resulting in higher cost of operation.
- MAR MIST SUPPRESSANT PF-20 has been used successfully for hard chromium plating where chromium thickness exceeds 2 to 3 mils.
Request Technical Information Sheet